Pairing the rich, vegetal flavours of matcha with blackberry sweetness, gin and the sour tang of lemon. The result is a refreshingly sophisticated and unexpected cocktail – a British classic remade with a Japanese twist.
- ½ tsp Saihōji matcha
- 50ml gin
- juice of ½ lemon
- 10ml simple syrup or 1 tsp agave syrup
- 15ml of crème de mûre (blackberry liqueur) or 4-5 fresh blackberries
What you’ll need
- a small bowl
- a spoon
- a small jug (if using fresh blackberries)
- a sieve
- a handheld electric milk frother
- a cocktail shaker
- a rocks glass
- If using fresh blackberries, crush them with the back of a spoon and strain the juice into a small jug.
- Pack a rocks glass with crushed ice (if you don’t have an ice crusher, you can wrap ice in a tea towel and beat it with a rolling pin to break it up).
- Sieve the matcha into the bottom of a cocktail shaker, pour in the gin and whisk to combine.
- Add the lemon juice, simple syrup/agave then fill the shaker with ice and shake until chilled (the metal on the shaker should frost up).
- Strain over the crushed ice and top with the blackberry juice/crème de mûre.